What is this all about?In one sentence: If you donate to the highly ranked charity the Against Malaria Foundation using the link above, I will match your contribution out of my own funds up to a total of
What is malaria?
Malaria is a debilitating and sometimes fatal disease, which depends on which variant of the disease is contracted. The malaria parasite (Plasmodium) is transmitted between people and animals by mosquitoes (Anopheles gambiae). The symptoms of malaria are similar to flu (fever, headache, sweating, chills, vomiting), as well as diarrhea, muscle pains and nausea. However, one variant of the disease causes "cerebral malaria", which can cause death due to blood clots near the brain.
Why help alleviate malaria?
- 1-3 million people die of malaria each year, most of them children.
- 500,000,000 people become ill from malaria each year.
- Malaria is the number one killer of pregnant women.
- Malaria has huge economic costs for numerous countries.
- More information here.
Why bed nets?
Malaria is transmitted by certain mosquitoes when they bite. The mosquitoes typically bite between 10 o'clock at night and two in the morning, so if we can protect people in affected areas when they sleep at night we have a very good chance of preventing them from contracting malaria. A long-lasting insecticidal bed net is both a mechanical barrier against malaria-carrying mosquitoes that bite at night, and something that kills mosquitoes on contact. More information here.
Why the Against Malaria Foundation?
- 100% of the money goes to buy bed nets! (yes, administration costs are effectively zero due to partnering, and private donations cover the low salary costs).
- They are cost-effective and rigorous in their program execution.
- They are transparent regarding their finances and distribution.
- They are GiveWell's Number 1 Ranked Charity. GiveWell is the most rigorous charity evaluator of which I know; they do extensive and comprehensive examinations of charities and end up rejecting 98% of them. GiveWell has lots of information on why Against Malaria Foundation has such a high ranking, as well as numerous articles detailing their process and why GiveWell supports some initiatives (health) over others (microfinance).
- The Against Malaria Foundation is also ranked as a top charity to donate to by the organizations Giving What We Can and Peter Singer's The Life You Can Save.
- Finally, the Against Malaria Foundation donations are Tax Deductible in Canada, the United States, UK and various other countries (check here). This means that, depending on your country/region, you might be able to deduct 20-50% of your donation from your taxes.
OK, I'm sold: what do I have to do?
You donate to the Against Malaria Foundation on a fundraising page I have set up on their website. Then, I prove that I have matched it on a this different fundraising page. You can see I started the process off with a donation of $5000 as a gesture of goodwill and to prove my commitment. I will monitor donations and increase my donations accordingly. Simple as that. Click here and Donate Now!
Why are you doing this?
I have spent some time above outlining the reasons why I believe that this particular campaign is among the most effective and efficient ways to reduce suffering in the world. What I haven't talked about is why I am doing this. If you're interested, here is a talk where I elaborate on my personal reasons and why I think others should share them.
Let’s save lives together!